In honor of National Grapefruit Month, I was invited by TexaSweet Citrus to try out grapefruit-inspired recipes. For all of the items mentioned below, I used the deliciousÂ Texas Rio Star Grapefruits. TexaSweet kindly sent over a Whole Foods gift card where I could purchase the ingredients and the jumbo grapefruits. The grapefruits are juicy, sweet, tree-ripened and very red in color! See below for benefits of this nutritional fruit and the recipes I demonstrated.
Benefits of eating Texas Grapefruits:
- Fat free
- High in Vitamin C, fiber and antioxidants
- And, low-fat diets rich in fruits and vegetables may reduce the risk of some types of cancer, a disease associated with many factors.
- 5Â Texas Rio Star Grapefruit, juiced
- 1Â small lemon, juiced
- 2/3Â cup vodka
- 1Â Â¼ cups sparkling mineral water, chilled
- PlentyÂ of ice cubes
Directions:Â Mix grapefruit juice, lemon juice, vodka, & ice cubes in a large serving pitcher. Stir in mineral water and serve in wine glasses.
- 1Â Texas Red Grapefruit, peeled, sectioned and chopped
- 1Â large Texas Orange, peeled, sectioned and chopped
- 1Â medium tomato
- 1Â cup diced green, red, and yellow bell pepper (use a mixture of all three peppers for best color contrast)
- 1Â jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
- 3Â tablespoons chopped red onion
- 1Â tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
- 1Â Â½ teaspoons sugar
- Â¼Â teaspoon salt
Mix grapefruit, orange, peppers, onion, cilantro and seasonings. Seed and chop the tomato. Combine all the salsa ingredients in a medium mixing bowl. Drain juice before serving. Makes about 2 cups.
- 2Â Texas Red Grapefruit
- 8Â large strawberries (fresh or frozen)
- 2Â ripe medium bananas
- 8Â ounces strawberry-banana yogurt
- 2Â tablespoons honey
- 1Â cup crushed ice
Juice grapefruit; measure 1 1/3 cups juice. Add strawberries. Cut bananas into chunks. Combine all the ingredients in an electric blender and whirl until smooth.
(Disclaimer: I was provided a gift card to Whole Foods and a box of TexaSweet grapefruit in exchange for a blog post surrounding this theme.)