Remember those brutally hot summers as a kid that were filled with drinking out of the hose, running through sprinklers, plastic pools, and raiding the freezer for Otter Pops? I sure do! Thereâ€™s something about those â€œFast Freeze Juice Barsâ€ that make my mouth water and turns my lips and tongue the color of each flavor. Just in time for the Texas heat, The Quarter Bar in Uptown created seven flavors of Booze Pops to quench your thirst while giving you the â€œbuzz.” Â For only $6 you can enjoy the taste of summer (year-round) while sitting on the barâ€™s rooftop patio overlooking downtown, or guests may sit inside the French Quarter-styled atmosphere.
As of this week, The Quarter Bar restyled the pops into Otter Pop form rather than the Solo cup shape. This change in design will keep the juice in one spot and have a better ice-to-liquorâ€™nâ€™fruit mix ratio. It is not easy to freeze liquor, but since they have perfected the flavors, the more confined packaging will seal the juice. Not only will the booze pops be easier to eat, it will probably go down even faster! We enjoyed the Booze Pops, but they were a little bit messy. We ended up making it into a slushy and then used the popsicle stick as a spoon. The popsicle itself will have a more consistent flavor when eaten as an Otter Pop.
I came in before the Friday night rush with two friends and noticed how spot on and immediate our service was. Seth Byars, the Bar Manager, took care of us every step of the way and let us try three Booze Pops: Pirate Booty (Root Beer Float), Laffy Taffy (Strawberry Banana), and Blemonade (Blackberry Lemonade.) All of the flavors were excellent, but especially when blended up as a slushy, the Laffy Taffy took the prize. They were smart with the pairings of liquors, fresh fruit, and juices. Simple, yet creative!
- The Filthy Monkey (Chocolate Banana): 360 Double Chocolate Vodka, Malibu banana rum, and chocolate milk
- Pirate Booty (Root Beer Float):Â Kahlua coffee liquor, Baileyâ€™s Irish Cream, and Abita Root Beer
- Berry Pucker (Strawberry Lemonade):Â Three Olives Berry Vodka, lemonade, and fresh strawberries
- Laffy Taffy (Strawberry Banana):Â Malibu banana rum, Three Olives Berry Vodka, pineapple juice, and fresh strawberries
- The Kokomo (Pineapple):Â Bacardi pineapple infused Rum with orange and pineapple juice
- Dreamsicle (Orange Julius):Â Stoli Vanilla Vodka, Pinnacle Whipped Cream Vodka, and orange juice Blemonade (Blackberry Lemonade):Â Deep Eddy Vodka, lemonade, and fresh blackberries
Note: Try the new Frozen Cherry Limeade or Frozen Jack and Coke if you arenâ€™t a big popsicle fan. This place is guaranteed to have the right drink for every adult. Open for 13 years, Bread Winnersâ€™ New Orleans-themed bar guarantees a good night with weekly specials, Bread Winners delicacies, red leather couches, a digital jukebox, and Big Easy cocktails. After all of this talk, are you ready to take a trip to The Quarter yet?
If so, be sure to check out the even newer lineup for this summer, the NoLa inspired cocktails:
- VooDoo Queen: Vodka, Blue Curacao, Razz Berry, & Sweet and Sour
- French Quarter Float: Coffee Liquor, Irish Cream, & Root Beer
- Blue Bayou: Captain Morgan, Blue Curacao, & Pineapple Juice
- Quarter Curse: Southern Comfort, Razz Berry, & Pineapple Juice
- Hurricane: Light Rum, Meyers Dark Rum, Malibu, Pineapple & Orange Juice, & Cherr
- Hand Grenade: Light Rum, Melon Liquor, & Pineapple Juice
- Soco Sazerac: Southern Comfort, Lemon, Sugar, & Bitters
Hands down, these drinks are some of the best fun and flirty $6 cocktails I have ever tasted. Seth handed us the Soco Sazerac, Blue Bayou, and Hurricane to try out. They are definitely smooth, sweet, and packed full of punch, as a drink should be. If you long to be on the beach, I highly recommend getting the Hurricane, priced at a worthy amount of $8.
I recommend you and your friends to try these specialty drinks while the weather is warm! If you are in town Thursday, July 18, stop by from 6 – 9 pm for $2 Wells, Domestics, and Booze Pops! In the meantime, visit The Quarter Barâ€™s Website, Facebook, and Twitter.
Located at 3301 McKinney Ave. at Hall, next door to Bread Winners, Dallas, TX 75204
(Disclaimer: Even though the drinks were provided to us at no charge, I will be back frequently due to the fantastic service, drinks, specials, and food! We were also surprised with a complimentary Spinach & Artichoke Dip appetizer and plenty of thick, homemade tortilla chips. You could say it was â€œGone in 60 Seconds.â€)