A new season is upon us, which means cooler temps, boots and scarves, pumpkin-flavored everything, and not to forget, local foodie events and tons of restaurant specials! Check out our roundup for the latest dining offers and events going on this month in DFW. Have something to add? Send us a note at Foodie (at) DallasFoodNerd (dot) com. Cheers!
The Quarter Bar Introduces New NOLA-Themed Drink Menu
Transport to the Big Easy by visiting Uptown’s The Quarter Bar. New at the bar is a New Orleans-themed specialty cocktail menu including the classic Hurricane (Bacardi Silver Rum, Myers’ Dark Rum, fruit juice and topped with a Bacardi 151 flaoter), Cajun Bulldog (Kalhua, Stoli Vanilla Vodka and cream topped with Root Beer), Saintly Sazerac (Wild Turkey 81 Rye Whiskey, bitters, Absinthe and lemon) and more. The drinks range from $8 to $10.
The bar also expanded its business hours: Monday through Friday from 11 a.m. to 2 a.m. (happy hour is from 4 p.m. to 7 p.m.) and Saturday and Sunday from 10 a.m. to 2 a.m. During happy hour, The Quarter offers $2 Wells, $2 Domestics, and $4 select wines.
Located at 3100 McKinney Ave, Dallas, TX 75204
Hotel Lumen’s Restaurant Gets a Refreshed Look and Name
Front Room Tavern (formerly The Front Room) at Hotel Lumen in Dallas, has a new name, chef, menu and design. Exective Chef Michael Ehlert has created an upscale tavern menu, and guests will see familiar dishes with a twist and unexpected creative ones as well. The restaurant is open for breakfast, lunch, dinner and weekend brunch.
Located at 6101 Hillcrest Avenue, Dallas, Texas 75205
Primo Brothers Pizza Celebrates National Pizza Month in October
Primo Brothers will celebrate National Pizza Month by offering a complimentary whole pizza, of any choice, to the guest who tosses the best dough in their daily dough lesson. Each morning that Primo Brothers is open in October (Monday through Saturday) guests can arrive at 11 a.m., receive a quick lesson on how to toss pizza dough and then compete for a complimentary whole pizza of their choice. The best pizza dough toss is conducted and judged by Primo Brothers owner, Luan Vraniqi, who has more than 30 years in the pizza industry. The first five interested guests can participate and the winner is announced within the hour. Each day one guest will receive a complimentary pizza for dine in or take out.
Located at 310 Forest Lane, Suite 334, Dallas, TX 75243
Celebrate World Smile Day at Corner Bakery Cafe, October 3
The first 50 guests in line at a participating Corner Bakery Cafe on Friday will get two free mugs – one to keep for themselves and another to share with a friend. Both people with the bright yellow mugs will be treated to 25-cent hand-roasted coffee refills for a year. If you’re one of the lucky recipients to score a mug, share a photo on social media of you and your new mug using the hashtag #SmileAtTheCorner.
Taste of Fall Cooking Class hosted by Chef Scott Gottlich, October 4
Join Chef Scott Gottlich and Chef Andrea Maricich for an exciting “Taste of Fall” cooking class at The Second Floor by Scott Gottlich. The autumn-inspired menu includes Roasted Butternut Squash Soup, Grilled Pork Loin Roulade filled with Apple, Cranberry, Cider and Toasted Pumpkin Seeds, Braised Red Cabbage with Raisins and Old-Fashioned Cinnamon Sugar Doughnuts. Attendees will also get to see Mixologist Seth Brammer demonstrate fall cocktails, and he’ll share wine pairing tips.
Location: Privé, Level 2 in The Westin Galleria Dallas (13340 Dallas Parkway, Dallas, TX 75240)
Price: $48.25 and includes select beverages, tax and gratuity; advance payment required.
Fish City Grill Hosts Shrimpapalooza Now through October 12
All Fish City Grill and Half Shells locations will spotlight a “Bucket List” menu of tasty shrimp dishes through October 12, including:
- Shrimp Street Tacos– Achiote marinated shrimp, sriracha sour cream and mango salsa
- Shrimp & Andouille Mac & Cheese– Shrimp and smoky Andouille sausage in homemade cheese sauce
- The Bomb – Jalapeño stuffed with shrimp, cheese and bacon
- Fried Green Tomatoes w/ Shrimp Remoulade – Cornmeal breaded fried green tomatoes topped with shrimp remoulade
- Shrimp Quesadilla – Large tortilla filled with shrimp, cheese and cilantro pesto
- Raphael’s Mexican Shrimp Cocktail – Shrimp, tomatoes, avocado, jicama and onions in a spicy cocktail sauce and served with tortilla chips
- Shrimp Remoulade Topped Grilled Tilapia – Served with potatoes and green veggies
Annual White Rock Local Market Chili Showdown, October 18
The fourth annual White Rock Local Market Chili Showdown will take place Saturday, October 18 at Lakeside Baptist Church (9150 Garland Road). Up to twenty teams will provide samples for a public tasting from 10:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.
Celebrity guests including Daniel Vaughn BBQ Snob, author and BBQ editor at Texas Monthly; Chef Sharon Hage of Farm to Fork Consulting and Nancy Black, editor of White Rock Lake Weekly will judge the competition and decide winners within the categories of Vegetarian, Spicy, Traditional and Wild Card.
Proceeds from this event will benefit programs offered by WRLM including Love Your Farmer volunteer days, Sprouting Healthy Kids – a hands-on gardening and nutrition after school program, and White Rock Local Garden.
Entry fee is $25 per team. Deadline for registration is October 15 and participation is limited. To register, go to http://wrlmchili.eventbee.com. Tasting tickets for $5 can be purchased in advance at WRLM Information Desk or day of the event.
Chipotle Cultivate Festival, October 18
Chipotle Mexican Grill will host the Chipotle Cultivate Festival on Saturday, October 18 featuring celebrity chefs, live music, amazing food and fun activities for the whole family. The event takes place in Irving at Lake Carolyn and includes cooking demonstrations by celebrity chefs, live music, local food artisans, regional beer and wines, a special Chipotle festival menu, a Kids’ Zone with games and other activities that emphasize fresh and affordable food made with sustainable ingredients. Admission is free.
Celebrity chefs lined up for the event include Matt McCallister (FT33 in Dallas); Omar Flores (Casa Rubia in Dallas); Kent Rathbun (Abacus in Dallas and Jasper’s in Plano, Houston and Austin); Paul Qui (Qui and East Side King in Austin); Sean Brock (Husk in Charleston and Nashville, and McCrady’s in Charleston) and Amanda Freitag (Empire Diner in New York). The musical line-up includes Amos Lee, O.A.R., MS MR, Sylvan Esso, and DJ Christopher Golub.
Texas Veggie Fair, October 19
Texas’ largest statewide celebration of all things veggie, the 2014 Texas Veggie Fair returns to Dallas’ Reverchon Park on Sunday, October 19 from 11 a.m to 6 p.m. This year’s event, centered on plant-based cuisine, healthy green living, and animal welfare, has partnered with Earth Day Texas as presenting sponsor and features vegan food and product vendors, a local beer garden, chef demos, kid’s activities and speakers from across the country. Admission is free, and the event is open to all ages.
Urban Rio Hosts Fall Cocktail Dinner, October 21
Urban Rio Cantina & Grill, located in downtown Plano, is hosting a Fall Cocktails Dinner on Tuesday, Oct. 21 at 6:30 p.m. The five-course menu, created by Chef Fernando Torres, is full of fall flavors, including crab-stuffed avocado, acorn squash relleno pepper, spinach cream salmon and more. Enjoy specialty drinks like Rum Chai, Cranberry Crush, Spicy Caramel Apple and more.
Location: 1000 E. 14th Street
Price: $34.90/person. Call 972-543-8911 to make a reservation.
Henry’s Majestic Opens October 21
The newest concept coming to McKinney Avenue is Henry’s Majestic, a restaurant-bar combo. We learned the location will have two large bars featuring an eclectic wine list and beers from near and far served from 24 taps. Guests can also enjoy an outdoor fireplace, pool table, TVs and the dog-friendly patio. Don’t forget to check out their weekend brunch!
Located at 4900 McKinney Ave. (at Monticello), Dallas TX 75205
Two North Texas Breweries Collaborate on New Beer
Two popular breweries in town, Rahr & Sons Brewing Company of Fort Worth and Lakewood Brewing Company of Garland, have crafted a limited edition beer that combines their unique styles. Their new Belgian-inspired Dubbel Ale is called DFW: A Collaboration of Two Breweries. With an ABV of 6.4 percent, DFW will make its debut during North Texas Beer Week (October 31 – November 9). It will be available on draft at area taps and will be sold at local retailers in 22 oz. bottles beginning the week of October 27.
Max’s Wine Dive Rolls Out Fall Events and Specials
Enjoy an array of specials this season at Max’s Wine Dive including the following:
- All Week Long: Wine and Food Happy Hour every Monday-Friday 4 p.m. to 6 p.m. $3 beers, $5 select glasses of wine, Bottles at to-go price, $7 wine cocktails.
- All Week Long: Food only reverse happy hour Every Monday-Friday night from 10 p.m. to 12 a.m.
- Meatless Mondays offer different vegetarian specials every Monday for $14 and 25% off all vegetarian options.
- On Tuesdays guests can indulge in the weeklong happy hour and reverse happy hour specials!
- Wine Class Wednesday is the first Wednesday of every month, for the next three months for $45 per guest, tax and gratuity no included. Each month will feature a different region – October: Americano, November: France, December: Spain.
- Thursday is Battle of the Grapes, guests are invited to try 4 different wines for $12. Guests will then decide which wine is the tableside winner!
- Champagne Friday every Friday during the day. Guests are offered 25% off bubbles by the bottle all day long (limit 1 per table, w/ purchase of entrée, not valid after 11 p.m.)
- Friday Live at the Dive brings guests live music from 7 p.m. to 10 p.m. every Friday to kick off the weekend!
- Saturday & Sunday – BRUNCH!
New Happy Hour Specials at Campisi’s
Campisi’s downtown Dallas and Frisco locations are making the work week happier with happy hour specials from 3 to 6 p.m. from Monday through Friday. Featured bar specials include $1 off any liquor, $3.50 domestic beers, $4.50 imports, $4 wine by the glass and $4 specialty drinks like frozen margaritas and the “Sleazy Campisi” cocktail. Guests can also enjoy $5 small plates featuring everything from cheese pizza, toasted ravioli to crispy calamari and Campisi’s signature meatballs.
Located at 1520 Elm St. (Suite 111) in downtown Dallas and 8100 N. Dallas Parkway (Suite 101) in Frisco.
Nestlé Toll House Café Honors Chocolate Chip Morsel’s 75th Anniversary
Nestlé Toll House Café celebrates the 75th anniversary with its “Toll House Tuesdays,” in which cafés nationwide will offer 75-cent chocolate chip cookies from 2 p.m. to 5 p.m. every Tuesday through Oct. 28.
Also, now through October 31, Nestlé Toll House Cafés will be accepting donations for Cookies for Kids’ Cancer, a national nonprofit organization that helps fund the development of less toxic, more effective treatments for children battling cancer. In exchange for making a $1 donation, guests will receive a $1 coupon to be used on a subsequent visit to any Nestlé Toll House Café.
October Specials at Sea Breeze Fish Market
Sea Breeze rolls out new monthly specials and another stellar cooking class. Take a look at the details:
- Sunday, October 26: Sign up for the monthly cooking class that will take place from 3 to 4:30 p.m. Guests in the classes will learn several seafood recipes, taste those recipes and enjoy wine pairings as well, all for $40 per person. Reservations can be made by calling Sea Breeze Fish Market & Grill at 972-473-2722.
- Pasta of the Month: Salmon Lasagne with spinach and mushrooms. Served with a side salad for only $19.99
- Seafood Special: Lemon Risotto with shrimp and arugula. Served with house salad for only $22.99
- Cocktail of the Month: Bourbon Baked Cinnamon Apple
- October 30: Whole belly fried clams: New England Clam Roll ($16.99) and Whole Belly Fried Clam Plate ($24.99).
Located at 4017 Preston Road, Suite 530, Plano, TX 75093