What’s more exciting than your favorite chefs coming together for a great cause? And yes, food is a big part of it! You can find this collaboration inÂ the new cook book, UNICHEF. This book, written Hilary Gumbel, benefitsÂ The U.S. Fund for UNICEF.
Throughout UNICHEF,Â you’ll find distinctive recipes and narrative asÂ each chef shares his or her personal relationship to food. Some of the great talents featured in the book include: Marcus Samuelsson, David Chang, WolfgangÂ Puck, Emeril Lagasse, Sandra Lee, Cat Cora, Jamie Oliver, Giada De Laurentiis and Mario Batali.
VisitÂ AmazonÂ to order a copy ($24.99).
Here’s a peek at a few recipes included in UNICHEF:
* Chef Giada de Laurentiisâ€™s Vegetable Parmesan
* Chef Ingrid Hoffmannâ€™s Arroz con Pollo
* Chef Jamie Oliverâ€™s Leigh-On-Sea Sole
* Chef Wolgang Puckâ€™s Motherâ€™s Linzer Cookies
Chef Giada de Laurentiisâ€™sÂ Vegetable Parmesan
- Butter for greasing
- 1 medium eggplant, cut into Â¼ – to Â½ -inch-thick slices (6 to 13 mm)
- 2 medium fennel bulbs, trimmed and sliced into Â¼ -inch-thick pieces (6 mm)
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into thirds
- 1 yellow bell pepper, cut into thirds
- 1 orange bell pepper, cut into thirds
- Â¼ cup olive oil (60 ml), plus more for drizzling
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 (26-ounce) jar marinara sauce (737g)
- 3 cups shredded mozzarella cheese (340 g)
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese (100 g)
- 1 cup plain breadcrumbs (100 g)
- Place a grill pan over medium-high heat, or preheat a gas or charcoal grill. Place an oven rack in the center of the oven. Preheat the oven to 375Â° (190Â°C). Butter a 13 x 9â€“inch glass baking dish (33 x 23 cm).
- Toss the eggplant slices, fennel slices, and peppers with Â¼ cup (60 ml) olive oil. Season with salt and pepper. Grill the vegetables for 3 to 4 minutes on each side, until softened.
- Spoon Â¾ cup (180 ml) of the marinara sauce over the bottom of the prepared baking dish. Arrange the eggplant slices on top. Sprinkle with 1 cup (113 g) mozzarella cheese and cup (30 g) Parmesan cheese. Arrange the peppers in a single layer on top. Spoon Â¾ cup (180 ml) marinara sauce over the peppers. Sprinkle with 1 cup (113 g) mozzarella cheese and cup (30 g) Parmesan cheese. Place the fennel on top, and cover with the remaining sauce. Sprinkle the remaining cheeses on top. Sprinkle the breadcrumbs over the cheese, and drizzle liberally with oil. Bake at 375Â° (190Â°C) for 30 to 35 minutes, until the top is golden and forms a crust. Cool for 10 minutes before serving.
- Serves 4-6 people
More about UNICEF
The United NationsÂ Children’s Fund (UNICEF) works in 190 countries and territories worldwide to save and improveÂ children’s lives by providing health care and immunizations, clean water, sanitation, nutrition,Â education, emergency relief and more. This information rich cookbook will appeal to both foodies andÂ families alike, while at the same time providing every reader the opportunity to join all of the chefs inÂ their effort to support the world’s most vulnerable children.
From Unichef: Top Chefs Unite in Support of the Worldâ€™s Children by Hilary Gumbel copyright Â© 2014, published by Glitterati Incorporated. www.GlitteratiIncorporated.com
From Dallas Food Nerd: A copy of this book was given to us as a sample, and all thoughts are my own.