The great State Fair of Texas is just right around the corner, and the annual Big Tex Choice Awards on August 28 previewed some of the best and NEW fried foods you’ll see this season. In the event’s 12th year, State Fair concessionaires cook up new tasty foods for a chance to become one of eight finalists in the annual Big Tex Choice Awards competition. At this event, the finalists competed for the prestigious titles of Best Taste and Most Creative for this year’s State Fair. The panel judging the contest included popular media and foodie personalities, among others. Dallas Food Nerd bloggers Nelli Tokleh and Autumn Reo stopped by to catch all the action and fried deliciousness.
- Caribbean Pineapple Korn-a-Copia, Created by Stephen Alade
- Deep Fried Bacon Burger Dog Slider on a Stick, Created by Brent & Juan Reaves
- Deep Fried Pulled Pork “FUNYUN®” Dings, Created by Chris Howard
- Fernie’s Down Home Chicken Pot Pie Pocket with Mac ‘n Cheese Dip, Created by Christi Erpillo
- Fried Jell-O®, Created by Ruth Hauntz
- Injectable Great Balls of BBQ, Created by Glen Kusak
- Southern Fried Chicken & Dumplins, Created by Clint Probst
- State Fair Cookie Fries, Created by Isaac Rousso
And the winners are…
“Best Taste” goes to Ruth Hauntz for Fried Jell-O®, and Isaac Rousso takes the title of “Most Creative” for his State Fair Cookie Fries.
The Fair opens September 30. Visit the website for tickets, daily schedules and more. See y’all there for another great year!
All proceeds from the Big Tex Choice Awards ceremony was donated to the State Fair of Texas Youth Scholarship Program, which has awarded scholarships to more than 1,800 students from Texas who have competed in State Fair livestock events.
Disclaimer: I attended this event on a media pass, and all opinions stated are my own.